Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's been a while so let's just get right into it...

We're still adjusting to GDL and, little by little, it's feeling like home.  We've had a lot of visitors in the past months and it's been great to see them.  I've been down to the coast 2 or 3 times and scored plenty of excellent waves.  Summer storms are starting to show and we're supposed to have 24 feet of swell (thanks to a hurricane) this weekend.  If it happens - I'm off like a prom dress.

Stina and the kiddies are in the US for all of July so I'm alone here for a whole month.  I've seen more nightlife in one week than in the preceding 10 months.  Turns out that there is a large and very active hipster scene here but it's almost entirely under the radar.  

To that end, I'm starting a side project.  A web site with upcoming movies, cool bars, shows, art, etc.  Stay tuned.  

Here's what got me thinking about this.  Stina and I went to see Sigur Ros.  I thought, obscure Icelandic, post-rock, band - in GDL, I expected that it would be Stina and I and the guy manning the beer tent.   

As it happened, it was packed, just freakin' packed with hipsters types.  Where do they hide these people?  Since then I've been exploring clubs, bars, restaurants, and have found an amazingly vibrant city.  I used to think that I was the coolest guy here and, once again, I discover that I'm a dork.


What else. . . oh, the house looks great.  We hired the grandson of the original architect (Rafael Urzua) - and he's been great.  Helped us get all of the paperwork and permits through city planning and architectural heritage committee.  We have the drawings for the front and have actually started the work on the facade.  

He also tracked down some photos from the 30's of what the house used to look like.  Our goal is to bring it back to its original state.

We've also just about finished the apartment.    That's where the live-in help will live.  I can hardly wait.  We'll finally have reliable babysitting whenever we need it - we get our lives back!!!!






Went to Lucy's graduation recently.  She's now in the first grade.  She's very stoked to have her own desk.  Both she and Lily continue to be the cutest kids on either side of the border.  
 

1 comment:

Flat Dog said...

I suspect you are still the coolest guy in town, nonetheless.